While IAS has been in existence as an international organization since 1989, IAS USA was founded in 2005, with its U.S. office in Pocatello, Idaho. In 2010 IAS USA merged operations with its key partnering organization in the U.S., Global Business Assist (founded in 2001); with both organizations adopting the name IAS America and moving the IAS headquarters to the northwestern suburbs of Chicago in Crystal Lake, Illinois. Here are some interesting facts and statistics you may not know about IAS:
- IAS drills more wells on an annual basis in South Sudan than any other organization.
- While these statistics change from month to month, IAS has approximately 40 offices throughout the world and 350 employees (265 men and 85 women). Of those staff members employed by IAS, 330 of them are native to the African continent.
- Since the organization was founded in 1989, over 5,000 wells have been drilled in Africa.
- IAS is presently working in some 20 countries worldwide.
- Of the Western IAS offices, the IAS Swedish office generates the largest amount of donations/revenue for the organization, while the IAS America office has the largest number of individual donors.
- IAS America coordinates the majority of business training and microfinance programs for the whole of the organization.
- The international efforts of IAS are directed by an Executive Board, comprised of one member each from the IAS offices in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, the U.S., and Germany.